Copyright © 2010 by Kathryn Buck

Thursday 10 February 2011

Be thankful

I was just sat eating my lunch at work, browsing the BBC news website when I clicked on this story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12402421

Honestly, it could make me cry. This poor man, could be anybody's Dad. Driven by desperation to feed his kids by robbing a convenience store. You can see that this is not the sort of man who would do such a thing if he had any other option. He buys his coffee and then politely asks the shop keeper to empty his till and explains "I'm sorry to have to do this to you, but I'm robbing you Sir. I have children to feed. I really don't want to do this" he then goes on to say that if he ever gets back on his feet, he will bring the money back.

I hate this world sometimes, with it's greedy governments who only want to help themselves. But most of all, I hate that most of us are helpless to provide for those who can't provide for themselves.

All we can do is be grateful for what we've got and hope that if we ever find ourselves on the other side of poverty that someone, somewhere will be able and willing to help us.

2 comments:

  1. I've especially
    felt this way
    watching events
    unfold over the
    last two weeks
    in Egypt. The
    sheer ebullience
    in the voices of
    the people who are
    now free and so
    grateful to secure
    a better future for
    their children! Just
    hoping their dreams
    will come true and
    divisive forces don't
    take over.
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that on the news the other night and my heart sank. In the last few weeks I've decided to keep the news off for the most part. Everything they report is so over the top sad. There is never anything positive shown, but happy stories don't get ratings I guess. I know that there is a lot of good in the world, but after what the world shows you would never know it.

    ReplyDelete