Copyright © 2010 by Kathryn Buck

Monday 6 June 2011

Allotment: Week four

I think I've become an allotment addict.

I realised tonight that I can't just go down there and water the plants. Every night, I end up digging a few weeds or re-potting something, or planting something, or just standing in the greenhouse smelling the tomatoes growing.

Just a couple of weeds while I'm here....

Tonight I have tomato envy. I had a peek into Phyllis's greenhouse and noticed that her tomato plants are about 10 times the size of mine and flowering! Come on guys, you have some serious catching up to do! I noticed she had some very healthy and delicious smelling mint plants as well, I might see if she'll let me dig one up to have on my plot - I'm sure she would. Mmm fresh mint tea!

My cucumber plant is looking really well - it's covered in flowers now so I've planted it in a grow bag and attached a cane to the roof for it to grow big and strong!

Cucumber plant looking really healthy!

The peppers are flowering today as well. They've suddenly gone really floppy as though they need a drink but the soil is wet through so I'm worried that I might have drowned them! Does anyone know what this could be?

Pepper plant - looking good on Friday, not so much today.

My courgettes are growing at a rate of knots. Just a few days ago, there was the tiniest little spot of green showing through the soil, by Friday, they were about 2 inches tall with two big leaves on each, tonight they are about 6 inches with four leaves each. They'll be ready to go out soon I reckon.

Little courgettes - doubling in size by the day!

On Friday night I planted my broad beans and string beans because they were (and still are actually) looking a bit dehydrated in the greenhouse.

I also tried to dig another row but had to give up when I realised I could no longer stand straight!

I am quite small, but those weeds are REALLY tall!

I'm getting really excited about the thought of picking my own veg and having that first home grown meal! It's getting close now - all those flowers will soon be vegetables! Those green strawberries will soon be rosy red. And those dried up little berries will soon be sweet and juicy raspberries. Yum. Yum. Yum.

In the theme of gardens, I went to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park on Saturday - have a look at my other blog for some piccies!

5 comments:

  1. You are doing so good in your garden! Everything is growing so fast, you will soon be eating out of it for sure. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pictures look good!
    your pepper plant, it might be just resting, sometimes they do that in the heat of the day be sure to not over water it!

    im the same way in my garden, i always end of by planting repotting diggning or something everytime i'm out in the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look what a sweet
    farmer's wife you'd
    make : ) !! Love
    the idea that soon
    you'll be eating some
    of this yumminess.
    xx Suzanne
    PS: What is a courgette?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I just found your delightful little blog and I love that you are falling in love with gardening. I have always enjoyed digging in the dirt. I guess it goes back to making mud pies as a little girl. Pulling weeds can be very relaxing and when the vegetables and flowers start to come on, it is glorious. My sister and I shared a plot in town one year. I planted, weeded and fertilized. She watered. She lived two blocks from the site and I had to drive in, but it got to me to much for her, so we quit. My place is so shady that vegetables don't do well, but I still plant a few among my flowers. I get so much pleasure in watching them grow. I am your newest follower. Please accept my warm invitation to visit and hopefully to follow me, too. Have a marvelous day, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kat. It was so good to hear from you. Sorry about all your rain . . . we live in a desert area, so rain it our friend, in deed. I do hope the sun starts shining and you get a chance to do some gardening, I can tell that you truly enjoy your garden. Have a bright and beautiful day and thanks again for the sweet visit and for following my blog. Your new blogging friend, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete